Photo credit: www.lehwego.com
Getting ready for some fun in the sun? Here are a few tips to ensure that you don’t become an afterthought. Make safety your first thought with these Carnival safety tips. These tips are by no means exhaustive, so please exercise any additional personal precautions you can.
- Travel in groups to and from activities.
- Avoid traveling dark lonely areas alone
- Arrange a meeting point with the group for a specific time or at the end of the event.
- If moving away from the group, notify at least one member
- Don’t fall asleep in random places.
- Always have some form of ID with you
- Ensure you carry a cellphone with emergency numbers pre-loaded in your contacts and/or on speed dial. SIM Cards and Phone Cards are readily available. Always have SOCA ISLANDS’s number with you +18683882937
- Always have the name, address & number of where you are staying on you.
- If you are meeting someone new, do so in a public space.
- Always have Condoms with you
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Use Lip Balm or Lip Zinc.
- Drink plenty of water while feting or on the road, and the day after, as alcohol consumption dehydrates the body – To avoid De-hydration try to at least drink one cup of water to every two to three alcoholic drinks.
- Do not accept drinks from strangers or leave drinks unattended.
- Ensure all bottled drinks are opened in your presence.
- When visiting the beach, do not enter the water while intoxicated.
- Ensure that you secure your premises (close and lock all windows and doors).
- Do not leave keys in mailboxes or under doormats.
- Travel with a Fanny Pack/Pouch/Bag for storage or wear clothes with plenty pockets.
- Avoid having wallets and change purses visible.
- Take care when dancing with fanny-packs
- Place monies in multiple pockets
- Avoid over exposing your money
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry or jewelry that attracts attention
- Bring sunscreen and a hat to protect you from the sun. Wear Sunglasses to minimize headaches from the all-day sunlight.